Friday 13 August 2010

All boxed up and ready to go!

I hit the ground hopping after the LA conference, designing the cover of the little box for the seven French rhyme books to slot into.  Bayard explained they'd be sold with a wrapper so I'd need to suggest something of the action of the inside spreads  on the outside.

Here's me bleary-eyed in the early hours, with the first prototype to show my editor.


And here's the top of the box with my favourite characters* -  the Trois Petits Minous (in the French version of the Three Little Kittens,  they get chocolate cream for finding their mittens).  


 

Here are the 3 sides of the box with
the Furet (ferret), the  Escargot, the Souris Vert, the Petit Lapin, the Coccinelle ...
Away in the distance, another creature as bleary-eyed as me, brother Jacques.  
Ring a bell?

Ding, dong! I'm ready for a real break.  Off tomorrow with  Mick and Ella to Italy for a week.   

I'd hoped to buy an Ipad to use simply as a lightweight colour sketchbook - but they had run out  of all Ipads in LA, and in France so I'll bring whatever paints are allowed on the plane.

*The black and white kitty was my childhood mog, Freddy Whiskers.  Our current elderly grey Pousse Pousse has had a facelift here. And last but not least, before we even got our new ginger kitten Bowie, I'd drawn this ginger one like a wish...

3 comments:

Dana Carey said...

Looks beautiful, Bridget.
Have a great trip.
Best to Mick & Ella.
Dana

Jan Markley said...

Kool box! What was the highlight for you at the LA SCBWI? I'm going to go next year!

Bridget Marzo said...

Thanks for your comments Jan and Dana.
As for SCBWI LA highlights, I loved the in-depth pro track workshops. As a board member I was lucky to be able to peek in on more than one track: the graphic novel workshop with Mac McCool and the digital workshop with William Low were both excellent and I heard Diane Muldrow's PB workshop was great too. Worth signing up for one!