Thursday 3 December 2009

Snail pace


I just finished illustrating Mini Racer,  a kid's book about a race where I decided a long, long time ago that the snail wins.  The author Kristy Dempsey kindly left all the character choices open to me the illustrator.   I normally meet deadlines.  But this was over a year overdue, more.

Bloomsbury UK/US have been very understanding. My mother died and my son was very ill and I was channel hopping between my daughter continuing school, back home in France and my mother's house near London and my partner's part-time London flat.
There was a lot to sort out.
Including an old studio full of my artist-illustrator father's work. He worked almost every day of the week, almost every month of the year, until he was over 80 - a lot of pictures to take stock of.
But at last, picture by picture, the web site about him which I had promised my mother before she died, is now up. http://www.johnstrevens.com

My son is, fingers crossed, well on the mend.
And  picture by picture, the two very different picture books commissioned way back by Little Hare and by Bloomsbury US/UK are now done.  I'll talk about them more one day.  I better update my own website too one day.

For now, enough that my snail  finally crawled, slithered and skated to completion, leaving behind him a lot of work on eleven fellow mini racers, among them gas-guzzling crocs, a high, haughty giraffe that gets stuck in her SUV, an owl family on a trunk, cats on a cycle, a seal on a wheelchair...

Barely had my snail passed the post, than  I get a commission for a bath book in limited colours, from a nice French publisher Tourbillon, for another snail.  Pourquoi pas?
My first bath book.
And a more graphic snail is now on the menu.
I crawl slowly into any work and into this blog. Patience!  Here are first sketches...


and a second roughed in photoshop


Below is an alternative snail.  More clumpy but stronger, more bath-like, perhaps.
Choices, choices.  Which do you prefer?  Maybe I'll find some more in my garden.





4 comments:

Sara said...

I like the one with line drawn leaves because of the beautiful juxtaposition of color and line.

Dana Carey said...

Hi Bridget,
Really lovely blog post. I enjoyed looking at your drawings. Your snails are fun. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Roy Stafford said...

I agree with Sara. Hope you're well, you sound it

Bridget Marzo said...

Thanks Sara, Dana and Roy for your feedback - back to the work on the snail now. I'll slide along with new gusto :-)